Six Sigma is a set of techniques and tools for process improvement.
It was developed by Motorola in 1986.Jack Welch made it central to his business strategy at General Electric in 1995. Today, it is used in many industrial sectors to achieved business excellence.
Six Sigma methodology is one of the advanced quality improvement approaches that has attracted managers and experts of organizations, worldwide
SIX SIGMA PHILOSOPHY
Six Sigma is a philosophy based on customer’s needs. The aims is to improve performance of organizations in various dimensions, and to decrease of defective products/services up to only 3.4 parts per million defects are produced. It is important to note that the major cause of raising Six Sigma quality has been the need for improving quality in three major products.
- Complicated products with many parts
- High sensitive products
- Mass products
Six Sigma specifically interconnects tactical and strategic activities. Therefore, it is compatible with organizational excellence models and National Quality Awards. Six Sigma methodology has a coherent and regular approach that can be summarized to three inclusive concepts
1) Continuous improvement in a series of sequential steps, which is recognized as the cycle of Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control (DMAIC)
2) Combining human resources and processes, by using Belts symbol. Different belts denote people who implement Six Sigma
3) Monitoring the obtained results and maintaining and empowering them continuously and permanently.
There is no clear statement about six sigma relations with total quality management. Either it is a totally separate philosophy o it is a part of total quality management. However mostly practitioners consider it under the umbrella of total quality management.
SIX SIGMA CERTIFICATION LEVELS
Six Sigma professionals play their role at every level. During implementations may everyone have different role to play in ordered to achieve business excellence.
Six sigma professionals are classified into two major categories, one is termed as project level and other know as organization level.
Organizational support is mandatory for every project . The responsibilities of Six Sigma executives and champions are to set the direction for selecting and deploying projects. They ensure the successful implementation and completion of the project at high level by managing resources.
- Champions: They translate the company’s mission, vision, goals and metrics to identify individual projects and create an organizational deployment plan. Identify resources and remove barriers.
- Executives: They are responsible for overall alignment by establishing the strategic focus of the Six Sigma program within the context of the organization’s culture and vision.
Master Black belts, black belts, green belts, yellow belts and white belts are responsible at project level with different responsibilities. These people conduct projects and implement improvements.
- Six Sigma Master Black Belt: They are senior trainers and they trains Black Belts and Green Belts professionals. They develop key metrics and the strategic direction at the Six Sigma program Acts as an organization’s Six internal consultant.
- Six Sigma Black Belt:Leads problem-solving projects. Trains and coaches project teams to execute the six sigma projects in order to achieve business excellence.
- Six Sigma Green Belt:Assists with data collection process and analysis for Black Belt projects. While Leads Green Belt projects or teams towards successful completion.
- Six Sigma Yellow Belt: Participates as a project team member in black belt and green belt projects.
- Six Sigma White Belt: Understands basic Six Sigma concepts from an awareness perspective and work on local projects.